SPRINGFIELD (AP) – A second Republican Illinois lawmaker has filed a lawsuit challenging Gov. JB Pritzker’s extension to his stay-at-home order.
State Rep. John Cabello of Machesney Park filed a lawsuit in Winnebago County Wednesday morning challenging Pritzker’s authority to extend the stay-at-home order, similar to one filed last week that a southern Illinois court ruled in favor of Monday.
Cabello said his lawsuit is different from that filed by Xenia Republican State Rep. Darren Bailey, in that it will not apply to only him, but to anyone.
Tuesday, Pritzker filed an appeal of Bailey’s case. On Monday, Clay County Circuit Judge Michael McHaney issued a temporary injunction so Bailey could disregard the stay-at-home order that goes into effect May 1..
Bailey, a Xenia resident, argued Pritzker did not have the authority to extend his stay at home order beyond the initial 30 days, saying the state already has a plan in place the governor is ignoring.
In a national television appearance on the Today Show Tuesday morning, Pritzker said, “The suit itself was extraordinarily irresponsible. This state representative was looking to gain some celebrity for himself. He took it to a local court, to a local elected judge, and got the ruling that I think he knew he was going to get in that courtroom.”
Cabello and Bailey are represented by attorney Thomas DeVore.